Friday, October 5, 2012

Fixing broken animal headbands/ears

It's happened more times than I can count... the pretend animal ears are left on the floor and CRUNCH!  Someone (usually my husband) has stepped on said headband and it's a gonner.  It's October so at least we can replace them right now, right?  
Unfortunately, the answer is no.  Sure, I could go buy a new pair of Tiger ears for my daughter but the quality of the costume headbands has diminished a lot in the past few years.  What's a crafty girl to do? 

My original solution was to cut off the ends of the fabric, break the headband as close to the animal ears as possible, and slide elastic through.  It works pretty well but my 18 month old can't put the ears on by herself and they tend to fall in her face over the course of her playtime.  When it was just the bunny ears, I was fine with that.  They were a dollar store find.  But when the Tiger ears broke 2 days ago, my heart broke too.  Okay, that's a little over-dramatic, but I am a Memphis Tiger alumni and have had the tiger ears for years.  
It was a little upsetting. 

Fast forward to today.  I went to the dollar store to buy a headband for my daughter's Halloween costume.  The ones I chose came in a pack of 3 and are pretty flexible/strong.  
I needed one for her costume, but the other two were for animal ear repair. 


As I was tearing apart the bunny ears, it dawned on me that I could just hot glue the old headband to the new one.  Well, that was easy enough!  
I moved on to the Tiger ears and cut off the bottom fabric so I could slide the headband out.  Then I broke it as close to the ears as possible.  
The ears are actually glued to the headband or else you could slide the whole thing out. 

Add some hot glue to the top of the headband and glue your headband remnant to it making sure to keep it centered.  After that, add some hot glue to the sides and you're done!  

One fixed headband. 


And one happy toddler.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment